STAY SAFE IN ICY CONDITIONS!admin
Jivana Care is a walk-in clinic for the entire family located in Bethesda MD. We have walk-in care for acute needs such as Urgent Care situations, examples of which you can read here, and immunizations and even have primary care physicians on staff if you need routine care. We are one of the few urgent care facilities in the area that also offers pediatric care. As much as we love our patients, we want to see them under the best of circumstances, not bad ones. To that end, we will cover ways to avoid slips and falls.
Winter is well underway as the snow can attest to and we are already seeing people come in as the result of falling on icy patches. Here are some things you can do to avoid falls during this slippery season.
- Slow down. Just as with driving a car, be sure to take extra time to get in and out of your car and to and from the building you are walking to.
- When you walk, shuffle your feet a bit. Take shorter strides so that your center of gravity remains steady.
- Don’t carry heavy loads. When you carry heavy bags of groceries, for instance, you are moving your center of gravity higher and increasing your chance of falling.
- Keep your hands out of your pockets. You need to use your arms to balance yourself and to catch yourself if you fall.
- Shovel your walks and drive ways.
- Make good use of ice to keep ice melted and to create friction when you walk over it.
- Check your tread. Don’t head out into ice and snow in shoes that have no tread on the bottoms. If you need to wear nice shoes for work or an event, carry them and change shoes when you get there. It is better to get there unhurt.
- Use known paths. Walking through even a few inches of snow can be made more dangerous if you are walking in areas that might have holes that can twist your ankles or unexpected bumps that can trip you.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE FALLEN
Assuming you are back indoors and warming up, you should give yourself an assessment. It is not uncommon for the adrenaline that is released during a fall to mask some pain right for a while after the fall. Where do you hurt? Are you bleeding? Do you have obvious swelling or bruising? Did you twist an ankle or smash an elbow? Do you have tender ribs? Did you hit your head?
The best thing you can do if you answered yes to almost any of these is R.I.C.E.
Rest. Ice. Compression, and Elevation. If the pain doesn’t go away or gets worse, seek medical attention.
DO YOU NEED TO HEAD TO JIVANA CARE CLINIC?
- If you hit your head hard and lost consciousness at all, seek medical attention immediately.
- If your pain lasts for several hours and you are not able to bear weight or move a joint, seek medical attention.
- If you twisted an ankle and the swelling and pain are significant, head to Jivana walk-in clinic.
If you have fallen and need to be seen you can use our walk-in clinic or contact us online to avoid waiting.